Sunday, April 15, 2012

Learning From Firsthand Experience

Today’s post is a very old letter I wrote to parents of my Second Grade students way back when I still had a full head of hair. In it I tried to explain an incident that had occurred that week in the classroom, as well as clarify why their students might have come home reporting that “terrible” things were going on at school with Mr. Paisano.

The letter is self-explanatory, so there’s no need to offer commentary here. The one thing worth mentioning, however, is that receiving regular teacher letters from me, was something upon which every parent could count throughout my long career. Sometimes they were business-like in style, often light-hearted with attempts at humor, but always with the intent of keeping them current about their child's life at school.

That said, here are the words of a frustrated young teacher as he struggled to find a way to reach EACH of his students, with learning he felt too important to be left to chance.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


IF YOU LIVE IT, YOU LEARN IT…… (or so we hope!)

Dear Parents,

There is more than a small chance that your child came home this week grumbling about the unfairness of life, and Mr. Paisano in particular. Let me explain.

On Tuesday I initiated a mini unit on Martin Luther King to lay the historical basis for Monday’s holiday. I began by reading a book to the class which described Dr. King’s life, and his goal to insure justice for all Americans. Ten minutes into the lesson it was apparent that, true to form, only a minority of the students were truly focused on the lesson. The others were engaged in a variety of silent activities… from alternate listening (one minute on, one or more minutes off ), to wishing for miracles (“Oh, if only I could be at recess”), to interior decorating (arranging eraser dust particles into decorative patterns on their desks). I suddenly became “weary,” and decided I couldn’t bear continuing to such a limited audience. (I also knew from experience, that stopping to lecture about the virtue and benefit of “focusing,” would only gain 85% attention for 2.7 minutes, and a final result of only 2 more involved students.) So, I stopped ! I announced that we were going to play a game.

The word “play” brought everyone to attention. I began the “game” by designating each student as either an “X” or an “O.” I sent the O’s back to use activity tubs, and got the X’s started on writing math facts. During the next half hour I lavished my attention on the O’s. I gave them additional rewards, while remaining stern and business-like with the math group. Quickly stress levels went up and grumbling began. The “X” group soon became an angry mob of indignant citizens, mad at both me and their “O” counterparts. Tears appeared along with threats of moving to a fairer classroom. There were few, if any, smiles. We closed the day by writing an evaluation of how we felt in our new status. In short, the “X” group told me what a bum I was!

On Wednesday I finished reading the Martin Luther King book, and announced we were going to play another game. The kids were given a number which seemed random. It wasn’t, however. I rigged the numbers so that Tuesday’s “X” group got even numbers, and the “O” group got odd ones. I announced that the even numbers could go back and use the activity tubs while the odds did math facts. While the odd numbers complained, most figured out this was a kind of payback because they had had the fun the day before. For that reason, at first they weren’t feeling the true emotion of being treated unfairly like their counterparts had the first day. So I changed that by lavishing the even group with MORE fringe benefits than I had given the others. Within seconds the odd numbered kids forgot it was a continuation of the “game.” An amazing mixture of anger and despair erupted. More tears appeared with a new threat of physical confrontation to right the wrongs suffered by the odds. It got far more ugly than day one. I was truly surprised!

Well, today the lesson ended. There were no more games… only discussion of what it feels like to have no choice about your status, and how frustrating it is to be treated with obvious unfairness due to no fault of your own. Today there were no more games… only discussion of how hard it is to handle your anger when you feel you have been wronged, but have little power to change your plight. Today there was no more reading about the unfairness that motivated Martin Luther King to become an activist for equality and civil rights… only a chance to reflect on how he might have felt as one who suffered injustice. Hopefully, that feeling is the lesson the kids learned. Perhaps, though unplanned, that ended up being the most effective learning of all!

Mr. Paisano

No comments: