Friday, July 13, 2012

Which Word Says It Best?

Word choice has always intrigued me.  That’s why this week, a TV program brought my attention to the word “riveted.”  More than once, lawyers discussing a murder case used it in the following context:  “I was riveted by the father’s testimony,” and “I haven’t witnessed such riveting testimony in a long time.”

“Why do lawyers seem to like that word?“ I wondered.  Obviously, “riveted” was their word of choice to convey how focused they were on the courtroom testimony.  As such, I have no qualms with their selection and use of the word.  Figuratively, it describes their rapt attention to the court proceedings.  For as rivets are strong metal fasteners in the industrial world, it was apparent that the drama of what was being said, caused their attention to be tightly “fastened” on the legal proceedings.

Anyway, while “riveted” might be a barrister’s first choice, there are other words that can be used to convey the same idea of being tightly focused on something.  Consider, for example:

-  “I was glued to the testimony.”  Perhaps that’s a little too messy and infers a certain amount of time needed for drying.
-  “My attention was welded to the testimony.”  Maybe the thought of intense heat that melts steel makes this word too menacing.
- “I was nailed to the witnesses account.”  A good choice, but might infer the person was hammered.
-  “My focus was bolted to the closing arguments.”  Might seem to question one’s mental stability since it relies on a nut.
-  “For thirty minutes my attention was cemented to the proceedings.”  A little too scary in permanence… in a Jimmy Hoffa sort of way, that is.
-  “My concentration was screwed to the testimony.”  Probably too uncomfortable a word considering it is part of the description of what some lawyers do for a living.



1 comment:

Betty said...

I hope "your" lawyer never reads this particular blog