Sunday, August 15, 2010

Another Creative Bit From The Past: A Teacher's Prayer

I have a teacher friend who writes the most beautiful religious music for the church in which she worships. She also has a beautiful singing voice, so she performs and records many of her own compositions for the congregation, as well.

At school, one day, we got talking about the creative process involved in composing music. She happened to ask if I had ever written any, so I told her I had, but that most of it was simple stuff for my students to sing at school. Besides that, my notation skills were pretty weak, so very few of my compositions had ever been permanently committed to staff paper.

Anyway, as would happen, my impulsive nature (especially creatively), prompted me to go home and begin the difficult task of writing a song. I decided it should be one that I could not only play for her, but one that she could sing if she liked. And it needed to have not only a pleasant melody, but words which reflected things I knew were important to her. One, of course, was her strong religious faith, and the other was her love of teaching children.

So I began my work. But as time went by, a strange thing began to happen. With each new day, I found myself writing lyrics which seemed less and less meant for someone else, and more and more meant for me. And ultimately, those words became a silent prayer which not only reflected how I viewed my role as a teacher of children, but clearly defined my daily responsibilities to each young person I served.


Below are the lyrics of that song. While a personal expression of the daily help I sought in the classroom, the words may have relevance for anyone who works with youngsters. Beyond that, they might hold special meaning for those of you who are loving parents, especially of young children.

A Teacher’s Prayer

Oh Lord, these words I pray,
Help me touch one child’s heart today,
May I reach out with love, Your gift from above,
As a potter with precious clay.

 
May I nurture each child I teach,
Using words that encourage, not preach,
And when patience runs thin, may I call from within,
Your peace, the most restless can reach.

 
Let me know when to listen, not talk,
Through example to lead, walk the walk,
Serve each day ‘til its end, as a mentor and friend,
With my heart sensitized, to see You in kids’ eyes,
This I ask, I pray.


Dear Lord, I thank You for this trust,
May I joyfully do Thy work.


© 9-20-05


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If a parent had a choice; they'd ask for you to teach their child. You need only to read your words to know that any child that was blessed to be in your class, was indeed fortunate. More of your poems/music should be posted here for all to enjoy.